i’m pleased to let you know that i’ll be performing a couple shows this summer after visiting a very special lake up north in wisconsin where my mother wanted her ashes spread.
i had hoped to have a new cd ready for release in time, but it wasn’t meant to be. more on that later. in the interest of contextualizing what i’m up to for these shows, my friends encouraged me to write a little blurb:
Over the past four years, I’ve been inspired by the movement of bird flocks to explore the relationship between chaos and order in nature. Once the musical environments have been developed, without any traditional sequenced patterns, the goal has been to react to that intentional volatility and explore the permutations of perceived order within the chaos.
There’s also an intent to deal with restraint as a reaction to the frequent excess in electronic music in a variety of ways. My reaction to the excess of sound means that about three-fourths of the set is comprised of a 2 second sample of 32 single cycle waveforms. The other quarter of raw sound is a handful of hi-hat samples and one kick drum sample. The restraint is also a reaction to the commodification and fetishization of gear within electronic music. This often leads to shallow exploration. Because of that I wanted to focus on a single complex, but compact, tool.
hello, i’m excited to be playing some shows with my friend josh mason this july. i’m also playing three shows before meeting up with him hopefully.
shows with josh mason. we’ll have a split tape available for the tour lovingly titled ‘karl’…
- 18.07.07 at autumn records in burlington, vt w/ vance stevenson . fb event info
- 18.07.08 at la sotterenea in montreal, qz w/ karl fousek and ylangylang . fb event info
- 18.07.09 at apohadion theater in portlane, me w/ ursidae and alicia champlin . fb event info
- 18.07.11 at blue bag records in cambridge, ma w/ retribution body . fb event info
- 18.07.13 at magpie books in catskill, ny w/ total soda
- 18.07.14 at h0l0 in new york city, ny w/ ian epps and long distance poison . fb event info
- 18.07.15 at tundra dome (house show) in philadelphia, pa w/ tim woulfe and naps . fb event info
- 18.07.16 at howlers in pittsburgh, pa w/ j butler and autumn pool . fb event info
- 18.07.17 at kin ship goods in charleston, wv w/ scott mcmillan . fb event info
- 18.07.18 at no place gallery in columbus, oh w/ high aura’d and mike shiflet . fb event info
- 18.07.19 at the listing loon in cincinnati, oh w/ pete fosco . fb event info
- 18.07.20 at institute 193 in lexington, ky w/ rosali . fb event info
- 18.07.21 at swanson contemporary in louisville, ky w/ mike seymour. rgb by seethings . fb event info
jc, matt, and dustin were nice enough to have me back for the upcoming june sunday series after i had to back out of may’s event. i’d like to think there won’t be any family crisis to prevent me from playing this one. many thanks to auralgamisounds and obsolete staircases for inviting me. here’s a facebook event. more summer news soon.
i’m playing a show on sunday the 20th of may. i haven’t played solo in about 18 months, which is kind of wacky. very grateful that auralgamisounds and obsolete staircases invited me. here’s a facebook event. it’s just the beginning of a busy summer, so expect more news soon 🙂
update: i’m afraid i have to back out of this show as holding my dying mother’s hand these last two weeks has been the priority. the free electronic association of louisville may be the replacement, but i’m not sure. either way, this series is awesome and worthy of support, so go check it out. sorry for the last minute change :/